Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A journey of the whole semester

So, the last session is over and the term has ended. It was really sad not to be able to come to Science early on Monday and Thursday... For me, a module is a journey and it has always been hard for me to end such "adventure". For that, I will try not to talk very much about the skills that I gained, but rather feelings that I had.

For me, the topic of effective communication is not very unfamiliar. I have been taking communication workshop, reviewing my resume and such after I graduated from high school. It had go quite okay, as I had managed to secure jobs during interviews for a few times already. Because of I that, I was quite alert to what I say/do (though I haven't been able to get rid of all the bad habits). However, an effect that comes along with that is making myself too "formal". For example, during the first activity in class, most of the words I received was "tall", "smart" but not a single "friendly" impression. My friends and colleagues also said that only seems to open up and being casual after a very long time (about a year or so).

And I think after a semester, my friendliness actually increased, not much, but it did increased. For example, I talk more on out-of-class things with my teammates, Akash, Hui Ting, Ao Yun, Li Su and Shawn, instead of just technical issues. The number of people that I actually felt "close" was bigger also, 7 instead of around 2-3 people in my previous classes.

Admittedly, it haven't been able to make much friend in the past, due to certain incidents in the past. However, I do took part in activities that involves a lot of people, like leading a group in orientation camp, organizing gathering and even do some work as a youth mentor for kids. Plus, I am still approachable for others to seek help in study and work, which many mistook for "friendliness". But I have rarely go beyond that border. As a result, there was a time where I was able to count the number of friends on one hand...

Having gone through the modules, I think I was able to understand more about communication and use it why I talked to my friends. It really helps, especially when my friends are depressed and don't want to tell me, since I can try to observe things like gesture, facial expressions and try to guess what's going on. It also helps me to loosen up while talking with others, becoming more "friendly" at the very least.

In short, I really glad I took the modules, because not only it teaches me things to use in my work life, it also aided me tremendously in my personal relationship with friends and family members. And that 's really more enough for me to appreci
Publish Post
ate the past 13 weeks.

The semester comes to an end, but I still hope that we can keep in touch :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mark,

    Firstly, thank you for being a helpful and hard-working group-mate. I have learnt a lot from you and I would not dare to deny to that.

    One thing I would like to mention here is that you should not worry that people did not find your friendly in the first time. Some people take time to open up, and you are one of them. If you ask any of the classmates now, I am sure they'll regard you as very friendly and helpful.

    My situation is quite similar to yours in terms of job interviews. I have been to more than a dozen, and came up with my resume just after high school.However, this course has still proved really beneficial in finding my not-so-evident flaws and now I feel much more confident about myself.

    I am sure this course has proved really beneficial to you too. We'll sure remain friends after this course as well.

    Regards,
    Akash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, anyone that has worked with Mark would agree that he is a very hardworking and responsible group member. Mark is a group member that you must grab! Beside school stuff we are able to 'click' better partly because we took Vietnamese language too. This goes to show the importance of inter-cultural understanding as we would have common topic to talk about.

    And of course! We will remain as friends even after the module :)

    ReplyDelete