Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Post #6 - 13 wonderful weeks

So, it's the end of the school year already, and our ES2007S has come to an end. However, I believe that the skills that we took away and the memories that we created together will last.

For me, ES2007S was not the first time I learn about communication. However, it was by far the most memorable. Perhaps, it was because of the small class size and various activities which Ms.Lim provided that bonded us together. The workload is heavy, that's no doubt. But it was worth it. In term of communication skills, what I took away was the better knowledge to write application letters, to behave during interviews, to write and present proposal. In addition, knowledge about the "silent communication" (gesture, body language...) also helped me when during daily activities, such as when I was conducting talks for my juniors, organizing meetings or just simply talking to someone. The best part out of it is to have a successful application to NUS's Overseas College program in Silicon Valley, where I get to study in Stanford and work for a start-up company - VSee - for a year. And I am glad that I was able to applies the skills that we learned from Ms. Lim and our peer-teaching friends to that. Plus, it wouldn't have been as successful if Ms.Lim hadn't generously helped my to refine my application resume as well. So for me ES2007S was definitely beneficial.

However, the most that I was able to gain from this modules was friends and the chance to get out of my daily engineering - computing student's routine. Back in the first year, I spent most of my time at labs, working on programs, electronic circuits and computers. Hence, it was rather lonely. Plus, I only 1 or 2 modules that had project work for each semester so I didn't have many people to work with, although my teammates was very nice. As a result, having a class that requires a lot of talking early on every Monday and Thursday was refreshing. In fact, it's the only time that I didn't fell asleep when studying so early :) I got to talk with everyone about all sorts of things, not just things what Ms.Lim asked us to discuss (haha) and found out many interesting things, like how people from different countries do express their anger; how to say "I love you" in different languages... all adds up to the missing part of my student life.

And I found wonderful teammates at the same time. Firstly, it's Akash, Ao Yun, Hui Ting in our peer-teaching group. Everyone was very open-minded and was willing to contribute a lot to the success of the team. For peer-teaching, there was a day that we spent the night together at SoC, till around 3AM plus, to finish our slides and ideas. Hui Ting was on fever as well, but she tried her best to stay as well. Then, it was LiSu and Shawn for our proposal, which they helped me a lot on when I was busy with my CCA and interviews. They are also very nice friends :) Then it was everyone else in the class that makes these whole 13 weeks so memorable. And every Monday and Thursday was more of a gathering than a class, which I really wished to had more of.

In short, ES2007S was more than just a regular module. It was a special time that I enjoy, treasure as well as learn from. There are certain thing that I wish I did during the last 13 weeks: write on my blog and comment on my friend's blog more, as well as being more helpful when it comes to the proposal. It was a extremely busy period for me, but there are times that I should utilized for to do that, instead of sitting around and doing silly things.

I was thinking of the paper that we stick on our back at the start of the class. Mine has a lot of "tall" and "smart" on them. And I wonder if you have a chance to do it again now, what would you write on it? :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mark,

    I am glad to have met you as well! If I were to write again I would have written "Friendly, hardworking, helpful, responsible..." Will add on to the list as I get to know you better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello mark!:)

    Thank you for the wonderful memories in ES2007S class!:D I believe being the first peer team group has its benefits too! It allows us to open up to the class slightly faster and practice the skills that we have learnt in class especially in our little multi-national team with different cultural background haha :)

    I am really glad to have worked with you and it had been a great experience!:) Thanks for being such an encouraging friend all this while. If I were to write the little again, "Encouraging, responsible, hardworking, willing to go the extra mile for friends" would be the words I would leave them on your back! :)

    JIAYOU and ALL the BEST for your finals too! ^^
    Looking forward to our small gathering after exams!

    Cheers,
    hui ting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mark,

    Although we have no been in same team for this module, to me you are always friendly, smart, hardworking, responsible and helpful. Being known you for one and half year, I am very happy to hear that you have successfully apply for NOC in Silicon Valley. I think you will perform very well there :D

    ReplyDelete